Sunday, August 5, 2012

Welcome!

Who would have thought that after a successful career in the U.S. Army, I would once again deploy to a war zone.  Chris gets credit for coming up with the title to this blog.  "Way to be Retired, Old Man!" was his response to the news that I would be going down range.  This time I am going to Afghanistan as a civilian non-combatant.  I intend to use this little blog as a means to share my experiences and to communicate with all of my friends and family.  I will try to provide a weekly update with a few photographs sprinkled among pleas for care packages as I complete my one-year assignment to Afghanistan.  I know that I will be extremely busy working there so by using this blog, I hope to save some time and reduce the amount of individual emails I send out.

I have two more weeks of training before my departure on August 21st.  I will actually arrive in Kabul on August 23rd.  The plans are to spend about a week in Kabul, then move out to Mazar-I-Sharif.  I will work in Mazar for about 6-8 weeks. 

Feel free to let me know how you are doing by posting a comment to this post or by sending me an email at my yahoo account.  I will be able to use Skype for video calls home as well.  I hope to be able to Skype with Terry almost every day while I am in Afghanistan.

I will try to post again the weekend of August 18th, just before I depart.  In the mean time, warm regards to all!  Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment