Friday, November 16, 2012

Killing the Enemy

I’ve killed four of the enemy already today and it is still only 10:30 AM.  This week, our maintenance folks turned the HVAC units for our office building from AC to heat.  That’s a good thing because the morning temperatures are now in the 40s.  But, this is an arid environment and in the afternoons, despite being a comfortable 70-75 degrees outside, the inside of the building gets pretty warm because of the abundant sunshine.  The afternoon warmth causes us to open the windows and doors to get the cool comfortable breezes flowing through the offices.  Well, opening these windows and doors allows the enemy to infiltrate our workspace.  Those damn flies are quite a nuisance.  So, as I have been working a few hours already, these Taliban infiltrators have been buzzing around my workspace, trying to drive me crazy.  As I type this, there are two or three of the enemy still probing my perimeter.  At the end of the day the body count stood at 12.  A few of the victims were female so I was able to prevent the potential birth and subsequent recruitment of hundreds! 
I had a busy and productive week.  Two day trips by Blackhawk helicopter out to sites where we have Provincial Reconstruction Teams (PRTs) to meet with the new commanders there.  I went through training in Indiana with all of these new guys so it was good to see them again and welcome them aboard.
Our small group here at KAF celebrated Veteran’s Day with a little cake and coffee after one of our meetings.  I made all of the folks who had ever worn a U.S. military uniform stand up to be recognized.  We gave our vets a big round of appreciative applause, and then we dug in to the cake.  It was a chocolate cake with white frosting.  One of the DFACs made it for us.  Here is a picture of the cake and of me taking a stab at it to begin serving.



Finally, just before sitting down to finish this post, I completed my longest run before the marathon.  I ran, on a treadmill for three hours!  During that time, I was able to log 18 miles.  So, now I consider myself ready to complete the Honolulu Marathon on Dec 8th with Chris and Marissa.  I am really looking forward to that.  It goes without saying that I am excited and anxious to begin my R&R and be back with my wonderful bride and see my kids again.  This week I have to hit the shops on base for some little gifts to give everyone.  You know: samples of water from the Pooh Pond, maybe some extra fine Kandahar dust to share with folks, just a little something to represent my experience here.

No comments:

Post a Comment