Friday, January 4, 2013

Happy New Year!

This is a short post because the day got away from me.  Even though it is my day "off," I ended up working all day and it is getting late.  We have a farewell dinner for one of our employees tonight that I have to attend.  The dinner is at our TGI Fridays restaurant on the base's "boardwalk."  I'll do a post on the boardwalk soon but to describe it concisely, it is a large strip-mall like area surrounding a sports field.  The boardwalk has a number of restaurants and other shops that feature souvenirs, electronics, takeout food, coffee, etc.  Even though the inside of TGI Fridays looks like the restaurants in the U.S., the food has a long way to go before it is anything like what you can buy in the U.S. It is also overpriced for what you get. They are often out of a number of the selections on their menu and if it wasn't for this event, I would not eat there normally. 

I am back running regularly now.  I've been hitting the treadmill most every day and knocking out push-ups and crunches.  I don't have any races planned this year (yet?) so I'll run about 20 miles this week and try to maintain that momentum throughout the winter.

Through the internet and social media, I discovered that one of Chris' good high school friends is actually here at KAF working for a defense contractor.  Chris and Peter were classmates and friends at the high school in Giessen, Germany back in the late 1990s.  One thing I remember about Peter is that he didn't seem phased by cold weather.  Even in the middle of winter, he would show up at the house without wearing a coat, only a t-shirt.  I've called and talked to Peter and hope to get over on the other side of the base to visit with him some time soon.

Well, its time to go gnaw on some food!  Until next week...

No comments:

Post a Comment