Friday, September 7, 2012

A little warm, but whose complaining - it could be worse!

Greetings from an extremely warm office here at KAF.  The air conditioning system for my floor of this little building has broken.  It is 94°F with a nice dusty breeze flowing through the windows as I type this.  On Wednesday, a maintenance crew came through to service the outdoor units of our A/C systems here in the compound.  They used a pressure washer to knock the dust and dirt off these units and as a result of washing the unit that provides A/C to my floor, they caused a fuse to blow and well as the killing the compressor in the unit.  Since the system is made in the U.S. it may take a few weeks to get the necessary parts required to repair it and cool things off here.  So, in the mean time, I’ll keep chuggin’ away on my dusty keyboard in a pool of sweat with a smile on my face! ;-)
Fortunately, the days of triple digit temperatures appears to have passed as fall approaches.  Also, our maintenance team is trying to install 3-4 smaller A/C units and hook them up temporarily to the floor’s ventilation system today.  If this works out it will provide some relief temporarily.  If that doesn’t work, I can always dream about a cold wheat beer!
I also discovered another shortcoming to working here.  Now I have worked in combat zones and have always been able to reload my ammunition pretty quickly, no matter what weapon system I was using from 9mm pistols to 8” howitzers.  One of the weapons I use in this job is the standard stapler.  When I ran out of ammo in that weapon, it took me almost five minutes to reload!  I had no clue as to where our ammo stores were!  Fortunately, no one was firing staples in my direction or I would have been toast!  I now keep a basic load of staple within easy reach.
The workload has been pretty heavy.  I’ve been starting each day at work about 7:45 and finishing up anywhere between 8 and 9:30.  I am still making time to get my meals and runs in.  I’ve been getting up between 5 and 5:30 and hitting the dusty road for my morning runs.  That is the time of day when the air is cooler and because there are fewer vehicles on the road, less dust in the air.  Tomorrow, I’ll be running in a 5-mile Race for the Fallen.  The race starts at 6 am and it will complete a 24 mile week of running.
As promised, I’ll post some photos later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment