Friday, October 5, 2012

Cooling Off!

The weather is cooling off here!  While the air remains dry and dusty, the temperatures are dropping.  Afternoon temps climb into the 80s, but the early morning temperature has been in the 50s making for comfortable running.
This has been a crazy-busy week.  I rely heavily on John, my right-hand man.  John does a lot of work for me here.  He is our duty driver and all-around handy man.  We always have people flying to and from the airbase and John is usually the guy that drives these folks to and from the departure ramp, about a mile away.  He also ensures that all of our vehicles get serviced every couple of weeks and performs many other routine services around here.  Well. John was ill this past week and had to miss work for about three days.  So, I had to take up the slack and perform John’s duties as well.  Nevertheless, I was determined not to kill myself and made sure I got enough sleep and was able to get up early in the mornings and get my runs done. 
Tomorrow, here at the airbase, they are running the Army Ten-Miler Shadow run.  The Army Ten-Miler is an annual event at the Pentagon usually run by about 25,000 participants every year on the first weekend in October.   I’m guessing that we will have about 600-700 runners participating here.  This week I only ran three times but got in some good mileage.  I ran 6 miles on Monday, 8 miles on Wednesday, and 4 miles on Thursday.  With the ten-miler tomorrow, I will have completed a 28 mile week which is about where I should be at this point in my marathon preparation.
It is sad that I have not been able to take many photographs since I’ve arrived.  The only pictures I’ve taken so far have been with the small camera.  I have not yet had the time or opportunity to pull out my Nikon and actually go out for a photo shoot.  As you can understand, there are a lot of restrictions on what and where you can take photos here on the base.  I don’t want to get into any trouble, but on top of that, I have not had the spare time.  Hopefully, after they fill another position here in my office, I’ll start having a little more free time.  I did receive some prints from Shutterfly of 20 of my favorite photos.  I put some 2-sided tape on the photos and decorated the wall in my office with them.
If any of you want to send prints for me to have and put in my hooch or office, please do!

No comments:

Post a Comment