Friday, October 26, 2012

Get That Dust Off My New TV!

I want to start this week’s update off with saying how proud I am of my wife’s recent post on her blog.  She made a great statement about why we should also honor our local police officers; the men and women who work every day to make our streets and communities safe.  Go check it out at :Switzerland and Beyond .
This week, as with all the others, seemed to fly right by.  My first R&R is only 4 ½ weeks away!  I also passed my two-month mark here in Afghanistan.  Some days it seems like I just arrived, and on others it seems like I’ve been here forever.  I am finally beginning to see the change in seasons here.  The days are shorter and, while the dust is cooler, it still tastes the same when I am running around the base and a big MRAP passes in a messy cloud of brown, gritty haze. 
I am having a decent week of running with one exception.  I was not able to get the 16-miler done that I wanted to run this morning.  I woke up before 5 am and had to take a colleague to the other side of the airfield to catch a helicopter flight.  I planned to start my run when I returned.  Well, even though I had a cup of coffee with me, my body kept telling me to get back in bed, so I did.  Next thing I know it was 9 o’clock and I was hungry!  Okay, I thought I could adjust and go out in the afternoon and get the mileage in.  Well, I figured I would run two laps of the 8-mile loop around the airfield.  Bad plan!  At 3 pm the sun was shining and it was above 80°F.  I made it one time around and called it a day.  I guess my body needed the rest.  I will still be able to get the 36+ miles I wanted during the week, just won’t get a real long run done.
I guess the highlight of this week was the installation of a television in the office.  That’s a pretty big deal.  I noticed that we had a TV antenna attached to the side of our building.  So I tracked down the cable feeding off of the antenna.  I discovered that it came out of the ceiling in the conference room next to the wall just opposite from where my desk is located in the next room.  So, after some trial and error at trying to extend the cable through the ceiling, we simply drilled a hole through the wall and ran it into my office.  My office-mate, Kevin and I put our meager funds together and went to the PX to buy a small, 21” flat screen TV.  Now, as we enjoy that first cup of coffee in the morning, we get to watch the end of all the stateside night games like Thursday, Sunday, and Monday night football as well as the World Series games right there at our desks!  Don’t worry taxpayers; you are still getting your money’s worth out of us!  We aren’t wasting all of our time watching the thing.  I refuse to watch all of the talking heads on the various news channels until after the elections!  But, you never know; an occasional soap opera or Judge Judy show may be in our future!

No comments:

Post a Comment