Friday, May 31, 2013

Bratwurst!



On Sunday, we had a little barbeque for our employees.  The DFAC provided the food and drink; all we had to do was get the grills going and cook the meat.  We grilled steaks, marinated boneless chicken breasts, and bratwurst!  I have to admit, the brats were the best.  I suspect the reason they were so well-liked was that we rarely have good bratwurst in the regular DFAC meals here.  They provided us with real German-style brats and bread rolls.  We also enjoyed potato salad, coleslaw, cake and cookies for dessert.  We used two large grills to cook the meat.  My colleague, Jesse cooked the chicken on one and I grilled the steaks and brats on the other.  Here we are sweating over the hot coals.



That same morning, I also received the keys to our new compound.  We have a lot of work to do before we can begin moving in but it was a major step in a task that has taken many months to achieve.  The new housing will provide safer, more comfortable living conditions for our employees.  So, we are looking forward to moving in there sometime this summer.

I also had the pleasure of attending the Change of Command ceremony at the hospital here on the airbase.  Our hospital is clearly one of the finest trauma centers in the world.  Operated by Navy medical staff, they are in the business of saving lives.  This is where medevac aircraft from around southern Afghanistan bring casualties.  The staff here was also responsible for the outstanding care of our civilians who were attacked on April 6th in Zabul.  This was the first Navy Change of Command I have witnessed.  It is a bit different from the many Army Changes of Command I participated in.  Even though the ceremony was conducted on dry land, they maintain naval tradition by “piping aboard” the incoming and outgoing commanders, both Navy Captains.  They also had a great reception after the event where I was able to talk with both officers.  The outgoing commander has been selected for flag rank (Rear Admiral) and returns to the U.S. soon.  Command of this hospital is clearly an important and unique responsibility for Naval Medical Officers.

On Monday, the nation celebrated Memorial Day.  While I often think about friends, colleagues, and acquaintances who have given their lives in service to our nation, I am glad that we use this day to focus the attention of all of our citizens on the sacrifice of our fallen service members.

Finally, only 24 days until I depart on R&R!  I sure miss my wife and family and I am looking forward to getting to see all of them soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment