Friday, May 17, 2013

Hair and a Helicopter

Sorry about the gap in posts.  The previous two Fridays did not lend themselves well to sitting down and writing.  I was either working or trying to just relax.  Needless to say I am staying quite busy.  But, this week I refocused on what is important and started making time during the day to get a run or workout in.  Since the first of the year, I've really been a slug in that regard.  Yeah, I still went out and ran the races they had on the base, but otherwise, I was either working or too tired.  I had the intention of getting up early every day to get my run done before getting to work but that was not working because I was so tired, I didn't want to get up and out.  So, I am leaving the office late in the afternoon to exercise before supper.  This past week, that has seemed to work.  There is one more 5K planned, on May 24th.  I've been mixing things up a bit too.  More hills (on the treadmill), push-ups and ab work and getting on the stationary bike for some cross-training.

Okay, here's the hair part of the post.  I have about five and a half weeks left before my last R&R and our family vacation!  Between now and when I depart for R&R, I am not going to shave or get a haircut!  Why?  Because since I joined the Army at age 19, some 36 years ago, I have had short hair and never grew a beard.  Of course Terry does not like beards, and likes my head shaved.  No fear Terry, I'll get it back that way before the R&R but now is my only chance to try it.  So, here goes!  This picture is two full days of not shaving.

I know it will look very scruffy for the first few weeks, but I don't have anyone here that I have to impress, right?  I bet my wonderful bride is thinking, "Oh no, what if he likes it?"  I'm looking forward to bringing my left-overs back to the hooch with me and enjoying seconds (remaining food in the beard). ;-)

I received a belated birthday gift from Chris, Marissa, and Charlotte!  Here it is, a small, remote-control Apache helicopter!
It is really kind of a cool gift.  I've flown it around my small room a couple of times but I know it is going to take some time to get the hang of it and get used to operating the controls.  Later tonight, I might take it over to our small conference room and give it a try in a bigger space.  The helicopter is surprisingly rugged and can survive crash landings quite well.

It's been like Christmas around here.  This week I received a huge box of breakfast food and snacks from my wonderful wife and three boxes from Chris and Marissa which had everything in it from smoked oysters to t-shirts to Trader Joe's snacks!  I've got so much breakfast food now, I'll never have to eat that meal in the DFACs again!

I have less than 100 days remaining in this tour!  Speaking of 100s, that is where our daytime temperatures are now.  I am sure it will get even hotter but anything over 100 is still oven-hot.  What better time of year to grow a beard!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment