Friday, May 24, 2013

Postcard from Charlotte!



Exactly one month remains before I begin my final R&R.  That’s 31 days from now.  I’ll be returning to Manchester for about a week before we head out on our 2013 Fisher Family vacation.  When I return from this vacation, I’ll have about 34 days remaining in this Afghan tour.  So, today also marks 91 days until this tour is over.

It was an extremely busy work week.  We have a lot of planning and coordination work related to our future move to a new compound on the airbase.  This project has been my main effort all year and we are getting close to making it a reality.  A highlight to working on this project is that I get to work with a friend from my time in Bern.  Rod Schellack and his wife Nancy are great folks who served in Bern while Terry and I were there.  Rod just arrived in Kabul and one of his job responsibilities will be working with me on projects here at KAF.  It was good to catch up with Rod this week and I’ll enjoy seeing him from time to time when he travels down here occasionally.  

With all the work competing for my time, I had a less than successful week of physical fitness.  I think I was able to run or work out three times this past week.  I guess that is what is recommended for most folks so at least I’m keeping up the average guy.

The beard experiment didn’t last very long.  At about day 10, it was just getting too itchy and hot.  Of course with daily temperatures going over 100°F, it was pretty uncomfortable.  SO, yesterday I shaved the beard off.  Besides, my lovely, caring wife would not Skype with me while I grew the beard.  I could call on the phone but she refused to look at my scruffy face.  Can you blame her?  Look at this photo I took just before shaving.

The highlight of my week was receiving a cute little “American Girl” post card from my granddaughter, Charlotte which was addressed to “Papa.”  Sha Sha is only 2 years old so, with the help of her Mom, she scribbled a little on the card and put some cute stickers on it.  Thanks Sha Sha!

No comments:

Post a Comment